Police Studies HNC
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 40 weeks
Course enquiry form
The HNC in Police Studies is a unique course designed by experienced educators in partnership with the local Police. This course aims to give you an understanding of a professional policing environment as well as develop the skills required to operate in such a dynamic and changing sector. You will gain vital industry experience and attend guest lectures from police officers currently on the Force.
This is a hands-on course that will equip you with the knowledge, skills and fitness levels required to submit a successful application to the Police Service or a similar public body or service industry. Upon completion, you will be fully prepared to take the standard entrance tests for entry into Scottish Police Services.
The course will be delivered face-to-face, on campus.
What you will learn
- IT in Business: Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Databases: An Introduction
- Police Studies
- Interviewing Skills & Practice
- Communication: Practical Skills
- Exercise Principles and Practices
- Social Science: Research & Methodology
Meta Skills Developed:
- Critical thinking
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through the submission of course materials, formative assessments and research tasks
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Minimum of two relevant Highers at Grade C or above and a minimum of four National 5s at Grade C in relevant subjects, this must include English or Communications.
- Other subjects may include Social subjects, Science and Sports based subjects or maths
Relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 6 or above
Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be required to attend a group and/or individual interview
- Skills check, this is to ensure you are on the right courses
- We will provide you with further information on the course during the interview
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum 5.5 IELTS
Progression and Articulation Routes
Use the Pathways website to find out your progression options.
Articulation agreement in place to progress onto 2nd year of the following degree with Edinburgh Napier University : BSc (Hons) Policing & Criminology
- Police Officer
- Various jobs in the public service and public body sector
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.