Web Development HND (BSc Web Development - University Route)
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Web Development is an associate degree program offering dual enrolment at Napier University. On completion, there is a direct route to a place in the third year of Edinburgh Napier University’s Web Development course.
- The course offers an opportunity to be on placement during year 3
- This course runs at Milton Road Campus
This is a hands-on and practical course that will enhance your employability skills. Edinburgh College has strong industry connections with Edinburgh-based digital companies. These companies can provide expert advice, guidance and placement opportunities. This course offers you an up-to-date award that reflects recent developments within the web design and development sector. Each subject area you cover is tailored towards jobs available in the industry to make sure you get the best education to progress towards a successful career. You will develop a mastery of the latest software packages such as Adobe as well as learn about dynamic website development using MYSQL, Mobile Technologies and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). This course will ensure you are well prepared for employment, self-employment or university studies in web development and digital media.
What you will learn
Year one and two - Edinburgh College
- Web Video
- Adobe Graphics Software
- Dynamic Website Development
- Web App Development
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Content Management System (CMS)
- UI/UX Design
Year three and four - Napier University
- Year three of your studies may be a placement year
- Year four of your studies may be an Honours year
- There may be opportunities for employer-led projects during the College part of the course. These will be encouraged by your College lecturers but are not mandatory.
- Edinburgh Napier University offers placements as part of your third year of study.
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam and for year two is a project
Number of days per week
- Approximately 18 hours per week, which we try to timetable into 3 days, however, the course is demanding and assignments and projects will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is recommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
- For school leavers: Three Highers consisting of a B grade Pass in English or Communications and two other C passes
- For college learners: SCQF Level 6 course in a relevant subject such as Software Development and Web.
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be asked to complete a screening exercise online to assess your skills.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- After the first year, you can progress to the second year of HND Web Development ( please note year 2 of this course runs at Milton Road campus)
- After the second year, you can progress to the third Year BSc Web Development at Edinburgh Napier University
- Other university options exist for 1st and 2nd-year entry.
- Self-employment as a web designer/developer
- Employment in the interactive media or web development industry
- Self-employment as a web designer and developer
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.