3D Computer Animation HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This stimulating studio-based HND provides students with the opportunity to embark on a thrilling journey to build a strong foundation to launch an exciting career in 3D Animation. Our first-year curriculum focuses on elevating your 2D drawing skills, providing you with the artistic prowess needed to bring your ideas to life. Diving into a world of creativity enables you to master the essential techniques required for animation success. Suitable for budding storytellers with a keen eye for composition the course is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the art of crafting compelling narratives, ensuring that your animations resonate with audiences on a profound level. Explore the core principles of animation through hands-on exercises in 2D, timing and spacing to squash and stretch, you'll acquire the fundamental skills that serve as the bedrock for all your future animation endeavours. Students regularly engage with Scotland's vibrant animation community with a visit to Move Summit to connect with professionals, attend workshops, and soak in the creativity that defines Scotland's animation scene.
In the second year, we elevate your skills to new heights with a focus on 3D animation modelling and rigging in industry-standard software like Autodesk Maya. Visual effects take centre stage with hands-on experience in After Effects, Davinci, Embergen Blender, and ZBrush. You will use Unreal Engine 5 to seamlessly integrate your work, allowing for fast real-time rendering that mirrors industry standards. Students work on individual and group projects to replicate and prepare for further study and employment and the course encourages and supports your personal creative endeavours, fostering a culture of innovation and individual expression.
Our 3D Computer Animation students are very successful and receive advanced entry offers on to prestigious degree-level programmes across the UK and become successful 3D Animators.
What you will learn
- Working within a Project Team
- Developmental Drawing
- 3D Computer Animation: Movement Studies Intermediate
- 3D Computer Modelling and Animation: An Introduction
- 3D Animation: Drawing Skills
- 3D Animation: Environmental Modelling
- 3D Computer Animation: Character Modelling Intermediate
- 3D Animation: Lighting
- Creative Industries: An Introduction
- Life Drawing
- 3D Computer Animation: Surface Texturing and Shading
- 3D Animation: Special Effects
- 3D Computer Animation: Movement Studies Advanced
- 3D Computer Animation: Graded Unit 2
- 3D Computer Animation: Character Modelling Advanced
- Editing: An Introduction
- Compositing and Motion Graphics
- Digital Imaging: Bitmap Techniques
- Creating a Showreel and Portfolio
How the course is assessed
- This a practical studio-based course where your work is assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year
Number of days per week
3 days per week
- Year one: Minimum of two Highers or UAL Level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year two: Pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
All applicants for this course are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and will be invited to a portfolio review session.
Specific information on Digital Portfolios and review Sessions for the course you have applied for will be sent to you after you submit your online application form.
For more information and advice on your portfolio please read the Art and Design Application and Portfolio Guide This includes advice on the content, formatting and size of your portfolio but also information on the portfolio review process, what to do if you don’t have a portfolio and the support available for Teachers supporting School pupils preparing portfolios for Art and Design courses.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
The HND 3D Computer Animation course at Edinburgh College has a strong reputation for progressing students onto Degree programmes across the UK with advanced entry.
Recognised entry to second and third-year Scottish Degrees dependant on each institution’s specific entry requirements, for example:
Animation BDes (Hons) DJCAD
Animation BA (Hons) ECA Second-year entry
3D Modelling BSc (Hons) GSA
Animation for Games Bsc (Hons) Edinburgh Napier
Computer Arts BA (Hons) Abertay
Interactive Media BSc (Hons) UHI third year entry
Recognised second or third year entry to Rest of the U.K 3 year Degrees dependant on each institution’s specific entry requirements
- Computer games animation
- 3D Animation
- Visual effects
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.