Architecture and Interior Design NC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This NC is a course suited to school-leavers or adult returners looking to expand their existing skills and portfolio in the specialist area of Architecture and Interior Design before moving onto to study a Foundation Diploma, HND or Degree specialising in 3D Design, Interior, spatial, product or exhibition design.
A range of industry-focused briefs give you stimulating opportunities to explore and experiment with the creative possibilities in the spaces, rooms and buildings that we surround ourselves with, producing and presenting effective 3D and spatial design outcomes within our design studios and MacLabs. You will develop essential skills in specialist software, technical drawing, sketchbook and model making to explore your ideas and concepts whilst investigating historical and contemporary Designers work to contextualise and critically evaluate your own work. Design thinking and the design process underpin the course giving you the skills relating to a range of spatial and built environments to produce successful 3D design outcomes.
Reflecting on your own and other Designers work allows you to identify your personal strengths and which areas of Spatial, Interior and 3D Design that interest you for further study.
You will be supported by experienced lecturers to produce a suitable portfolio for more advanced level study in your chosen specialist area of 3D Design. Students from this course regularly progress on to the HND 3D Design at Edinburgh College before advanced entry to Degree level study or employment.
What you will learn
• Art and Design: Personal Project
• Art and Design: Colour
• Art and Design: Introduction to Interior Design
• Art and Design: 3D Design - Spatial Design
• Art and Design: Architectural Model Making 1
• Art and Design: Location Drawing
• Architecture and Interior Design
• 2D Digital Art
• Innovative Prototype
• Design Elements and Principles
• Perspective Drawing and Rendering
• Architectural Drafting
• Interior Architecture: Materials/Finishes
• Understanding Architecture
How the course is assessed
- This is a practical studio-based course assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year
Number of days per week
3 days per week
- Four National 5’s or UAL Level 2 or equivalent
- All applicants must submit a portfolio that demonstrates sound drawing skills and an understanding of the creative process in sketchbooks and larger-scale imagery
- A good general understanding of the creative process from either school, college or previous study and experience
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- All applicants for this course are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and will be invited to a portfolio review session.
- Specific information on Digital Portfolios and review Sessions for the course you have applied for will be sent to you after you submit your online application form.
- For more information and advice on your portfolio please read the Art and Design Application and Portfolio Guide This includes advice on the content, formatting and size of your portfolio but also information on the portfolio review process, what to do if you don’t have a portfolio and the support available for Teachers supporting School pupils preparing portfolios for Art and Design courses.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression on successful completion of the course onto an HND within The School of Art and Design at Edinburgh College for example HND 3D Design at Edinburgh College - dependant on portfolio review
- Progression on successful completion of the course onto the UAL Level 3 or Foundation Diploma within The School of Art and Design at Edinburgh College - dependant on portfolio review
- Progression possible to Degree level study - dependant on each institution’s specific entry requirements
- 3D Designer
- Interior Designer
- Product Designer
- Exhibition Designer
- Spatial Designer
- Lighting Designer
- Architect / Architectural Technician
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.