UAL Art and Design Fashion and Textiles Level 3 Diploma
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The UAL Level 3 Diploma course is equivalent to 1.5 Advanced Highers and this pathway specialises in Fashion and Textiles. The course is suited to school-leavers or adult returners looking to expand their existing skills and portfolio before moving on to study a Foundation Diploma, HND or Degree specialising in Fashion and Textiles.
A range of stimulating briefs gives you exciting opportunities through the year to create personal responses whilst exploring a range of specialist Fashion and Textiles equipment, materials, techniques and approaches. You will be introduced to a wide range of historical and contemporary Artists and Designers work and encouraged to contextualise and critically evaluate your own work. Reflecting on your own and other Artist and Designers work allows you to identify your personal strengths and which area of Fashion and Textiles interests you for further exploration.
You will be supported by experienced lecturers to produce a suitable portfolio for more advanced level study and to present a personal project of your choice at end of year assessment.
Our UAL level 3 Diploma students are very successful and receive offers on to both our UAL Foundation Diploma and HNDs with some students progressing directly onto Degree-level programmes across the UK. Below is a selection of recent offers that our UAL level 3 Fashion and Textiles students have gained in previous years:
• UAL Foundation Diploma at Edinburgh College
• HND 3D Design at Edinburgh College
• HND Textiles at Edinburgh College
• HND Visual Communications: Illustration at Edinburgh College
• BSc Hons Fashion Technology Heriot-Watt University
• BA Hons Design for Textiles Heriot-Watt University
• BA Hons Fashion Heriot-Watt University
• BA Hons Fashion ECA
• BA Hons Fashion GSA
• BA Hons Textiles DJCAD
• BA Hons Fashion RGU
• BA Hons Fashion UAL LCF
- Develop a critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within Fashion and Textile design or related subjects of study or work
- Learn how to research analyse and evaluate relevant information and ideas in order to develop creative solutions
- Be able to understand adapt and safely use appropriate and practical methods and skills for creative production
- Solve complex problems through the application of art design or related practical theoretical and technical understanding
- Critically review the effectiveness and appropriateness of methods actions and results
- Use evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for your own learning development and decision making
- Take responsibility for the research planning time management and actions to access progression opportunities
- Effectively present your ideas and artwork to appropriate audiences
- London Study trip
- Present personal project work at the end-of-year Diploma Exhibition
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment of Fashion and Textile work
- You will gain an overall final grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Minimum of four National 5’s or above including Art and Design and English or
- UAL Level 2 Diploma or
- SQA NC / FA in a related subject
- You must submit a portfolio of practical artwork that demonstrates your creative potential
- A good general understanding of the creative process from either school college or previous study and experience
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
All applicants for this course are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and will be invited to a portfolio review session.
Specific information on Digital Portfolios and review Sessions for the course you have applied for will be sent to you after you submit your online application form.
For more information and advice on your portfolio please read the Art and Design Application and Portfolio Guide This includes advice on the content, formatting and size of your portfolio but also information on the portfolio review process, what to do if you don’t have a portfolio and the support available for Teachers supporting School pupils preparing portfolios for Art and Design courses.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- The UAL 3 Diploma is equivalent to 1.5 SQA Advanced Highers
- You will gain UCAS (Pass 36 Merit 60 Distinction 84) for university applications allowing you to consider entry to Year 1 at Scottish art colleges - depending on each institution’s specific entry requirements.
- Progression on successful completion of the course onto an HND within The School of Art and Design at Edinburgh College - dependant on portfolio review.
- Progression on successful completion of the course onto the UAL Foundation Diploma within The School of Art and Design at Edinburgh College - dependant on portfolio review.
- Fashion Designer
- Textile Designer
- Accessories Designer
- Print Designer
- Fashion Retail
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Communications/journalism
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.