Graphic and Communication Design NC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This NC is a course suited to school-leavers or adult returners looking to expand their existing skills and portfolio in the specialist area of Graphic and Communication Design before moving on to study a Foundation Diploma, HND or Degree in Graphic Design, User Experience Design or Visual Communication.
A range of industry-focused briefs give you stimulating opportunities through the year to produce and present effective design outcomes within our design studios and MacLabs. You will use industry-specific software alongside sketchbooks to explore your ideas and concepts whilst investigating historical and contemporary Designer's work to contextualise and critically evaluate your own work. Design thinking and the design process underpin the course giving you the skills to realise and produce successful digital outcomes for both print and web.
Reflecting on your own and other Designers work allows you to identify your personal strengths and which areas of Graphics and Communication Design interest you for further study.
You will be supported by experienced lecturers to produce a suitable portfolio for more advanced level study in your chosen specialist area of Visual Communications. Students from this course regularly progress on to either HND Visual Communications: Graphics or User Experience at Edinburgh College before advanced entry to Degree level study or employment.
What you will learn
- Graphic Design
- Creative Industries
- Art and Design: Creative Process
- Art and Design Project
- Art and Design Context
- Digital Imaging
- Visual Communication
- Design Production
- Digital Imaging Project
- Graphic Design Project
How the course is assessed
- This is a practical studio-based course assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Four National 5s or UAL Level 2 or equivalent
- A good general understanding of the creative process from either school college or previous study and experience
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
All applicants for this course are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and will be invited to a portfolio review session.
Specific information on Digital Portfolios and review Sessions for the course you have applied for will be sent to you after you submit your online application form.
For more information and advice on your portfolio please read the Art and Design Application and Portfolio Guide This includes advice on the content, formatting and size of your portfolio but also information on the portfolio review process, what to do if you don’t have a portfolio and the support available for Teachers supporting School pupils preparing portfolios for Art and Design courses.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression on successful completion of the course onto an HND within The School of Art and Design at Edinburgh College for example HND Visual Communications: Graphics or User Experience at Edinburgh - dependant on portfolio review.
- Progression on successful completion of the course onto the UAL Level 3 or Foundation Diploma within The School of Art and Design at Edinburgh College - dependant on portfolio review.
- Progression possible to Degree level study - dependant on each institution’s specific entry requirements.
- Graphic Designer
- UX/UI Designer
- Art Director
- Web/App Designer
- Product Designer
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.