Beauty Care (SCQF Level 5)
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This 36-week course is an exciting insight into the Beauty industry and a great starting point for school leavers with National 4 qualifications.
The course introduces the basic beauty skills you need for entry into the industry with practical and theory units covering Facial skin care, Lash & Brow Tinting, Make-Up, Massage techniques, Manicure, Pedicure, Waxing, and Event Planning.
You will work in our salons and studios which will give you valuable practical experience in realistic environments. You will be assessed on your practical abilities along with written assessment criteria where applicable.
NB - This is a practical course where you will build your skills while working on others within the class. You must be comfortable performing treatments on others and receiving treatments yourself.
On successful completion of this course, you can apply for the NC Level 6 Beauty Care.
- There is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms and books – this must be purchased before starting the course (a bursary will cover the cost of these if you are eligible)
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
What you will learn
- Facial Skincare
- Lash & Brow Tinting
- Day Make-up and Basic Corrective Make-Up
- Bridal and Evening Make-up
- Back, Neck and Shoulder Massage
- Massage Techniques
- Introduction to Manicure & Pedicure
- Introduction to Waxing
- Practical Salon Skills
- Portfolio presentation
- Event Planning
- There is no work placement required for this course, however, you will be working on clients in our realistic employability salons and studios.
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons
- Assessment of theory will include portfolio building, open and closed book assessments
Number of days per week
- 2-3 days per week (between 9-5 pm) plus one evening (4:30-8:00 pm)
All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold:
- A minimum of four National 4s or qualification at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent preferably in English and Biology
- Mature returners entry with successful interview
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Please include a strong personal statement as part of your application which explains your reasons for wanting to be on the course. Once completed we will review your personal statement in conjunction with the rest of your application.
Applicants who meet the above criteria will be invited to an information session and interview to discuss your application.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NC Level 6 Beauty Therapy (36-week course the following year)
- This course allows further progression to our NC Level 6 Beauty Care
- You will gain some practical skills to work within a beauty salon as a Junior Beauty Therapist
|Milton Road Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.