Spa Therapies (SCQF Level 6)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Are you looking for a career in the Spa industry? Our Spa Therapies course will equip you with the skill set to perform a variety of spa treatments currently in our spa industry today.
Combining a mixture of practical massage and theory-based units you will learn practical skills from experienced staff with a wealth of knowledge and gain excellent underpinning knowledge to support your practical work whilst incorporating product knowledge from our leading industry providers Dermalogica and Elemis.
You will gain hands-on experience initially with your peers to build confidence in treatment procedures, and techniques and develop skills prior to progressing to clients in our realistic employability salons. Ensuring you are completely prepared for the industry and for setting up your own successful business if desired by offering a wide range of salon and spa environments, assessing you across a variety of methods including work experience with clients’ case studies and presentation skills.
Further opportunities for our optional volunteering scheme with college stakeholders are encouraged where applicable. We have a wonderful collaboration with St Columba's Hospice where students volunteer to carry out a variety of treatments to the carers of those in the hospice.
On successful completion of the course, you will be qualified to work within the Spa Industry, or you may wish to further your studies as a Complementary Therapist
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities alongside highly qualified lecturers.
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Some theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
- Body Massage
- Scalp Neck and Shoulder Massage
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Facial Massage
- Spa Treatments
- Bamboo massage
- Stone Therapy Massage
- Herbal Compress Massage
- Lifestyle & Relaxation Techniques
- The work placement requirement for this course involves participation for 1 week at a spa of your choice along with the optional volunteering as mentioned above. You may also be asked to partake in wellness or Spa therapy events organised by the college.
Please note that work placement is a mandatory requirement for the course.
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on clients provided within our salons.
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open-book assessments and closed-book assessments
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9-4 pm) plus one evening (4:30-8 pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold :
- A minimum of three National 5s (or equivalent) or four relevant Standard Grades at Credit Level preferably in English and Biology and pass the interview task
- NC Beauty Care Level 5 of 6
- Adult returners' entry with a pass interview task and successful interview
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Entry requirements are based on the successful application including a personal statement on the application form of 500 words or more. Successful applicants will then be invited in for an interview on campus with the college lecturers coordinating the course.
NB The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills and interview responses
Once completed we will assess your application. Please ensure that your contact details are correct as we may be required to contact you for a brief Telephone Interview with one of our Lecturing Team.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC Beauty Therapy
- Self-Employed Therapist
- Spa Therapist
- Spa manager
- Volunteering opportunities
- NHS massage therapy
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.