Access to HND Sports Coaching and Development
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is designed to enhance your knowledge of sports coaching and is a direct route to further study at the HNC/D level. Access to HND Sports Coaching and Development is a year-long and full-time course based around a National Progression Award (NPA). This course will develop your confidence and enhance your personal leadership and transferable skills; preparing you for further education and a rewarding career in the sports and fitness industry. There is the opportunity to gain industry recognised National Governing Body Qualifications (NGB’s) in sports such as Netball, Volleyball, Cricket, Football, Handball, Badminton and Tennis. In addition, you will complete an Emergency First Aid course.
There will be a considerable focus on practical participation in a range of sports and physical activities in order to enhance and compliment your existing performance and coaching abilities. This will be supported by a reasonably challenging level of classroom work in order to develop knowledge and understanding of the industry. To succeed in this course you should have a keen interest in sports, leading activities or coaching and be regularly participating in sports and physical activities.
What you will learn
- Introduce you to the concept of sports development
- Examine resources required for a specific project
- Gain both practical experience and theoretical knowledge across a number of indoor and outdoor sporting activities
- Gain industry recognised National Governing Body Qualifications (NGB’s) in sports such as Netball, Volleyball, Cricket, Football, Handball, Badminton and Tennis.
- Gain Emergency First Aid
- Gain industry experience through work placement
- An understanding of how the body works and adapts to the effects of exercise
- The basic theory and application of sports coaching
- How to improve and test components of fitness
- Develop your communication and organisational skills
- Opportunities may arise to work with Active Schools, local schools, sports clubs and community groups through work placement / volunteer opportunities.
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including written assessments, logbooks, group exercises, projects, assignments and practical tasks and observations.
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Three National 5s at C or above, preferably to include English and/or a Science subject
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be expected to show your knowledge of and active participation in sport and fitness activities along with knowledge of the role of a sports coach/activity leader
- The interview session may include practical elements based on sports performance, problem solving, communication skills and written work based on your aims, objectives and knowledge of the subject area
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Year 1 of HND Sports Coaching and Development taught at Edinburgh College
Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in Sports Coaching and Development it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as:
- Sports leader
- Sports coach assistant
- Sports coach
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.