Award in Fitness and Physical Activity
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
If you are considering a career in the fitness industry and want to take the first steps towards that career, this course is an ideal start. You’ll gain an introductory qualification allowing you to progress to further study and gain a broader understanding of the skills required in the industry.
The course is very practical in nature but you will also participate in theoretical elements. During the course, you will be given the option to discuss the most appropriate progression route for you.
What you will learn
- Assisting the delivery of an exercise session
- Safe participation in physical activity
- Introduction to healthy eating
- First aid
- Fitness programming
- Resistance circuits and cardiovascular training
- Core and essentials skills in an exercise and fitness context
- Understanding of the Health and fitness Industry
- Placements may be available through local partnerships
How the course is assessed
The course is assessed on an ongoing basis using a variety of methods which can include:
- written assessments
- group exercises
- practical tasks
Number of days per week
- 3 passes at National 4, English and/or a science subject
- Appropriate experience would be helpful either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry.
- You may be a mature student or one who wishes to change careers or perhaps retrain following a career break, in these or other cases we would consider work experience life skills and potential ability.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
If you meet the minimum entry requirements you will be invited to a course information event which will include a general presentation on the course and optional course choices to ensure that you have selected the most appropriate course for you. There may also be a practical element to include physical activity, in a fitness context, details of which will be confirmed closer to the date of the information event.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- This course is designed for progression onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in Exercise
- It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as a leisure attendant or similar posts within either private health or sports clubs; or local authority leisure centres.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.