Developing Sporting Performance
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This unique course is aimed at school leavers who have played age-grade sport at District or National level. This course will push your playing potential by developing your fitness skills through a full-time and structured programme. Discover new confidence and develop your personal ambitions in your own sporting development as you learn a variety of transferable skills. You will be taught by experienced Edinburgh College lecturers, enhance your career prospects as well as be fully prepared for further study of sport and fitness at a higher level.
There will be a considerable focus on practical activities with some theoretical classroom work to improve and complement your existing training and performance schedules. You must be participating at a competitive level and be committed to improving your technique. Your application must be supported with a letter of recommendation from your PE department, club or National Governing Body.
What you will learn
- Sporting Performance
- Knowledge and Skills in Target Setting
- Personal Career Management
- Lifestyle Planning and Evaluating what is ‘Excellence’.
- Individual Performance Improvement
- Analysis and Evaluation Exercise
- Resistance Training Methods
- Anatomy and Exercise Physiology
- Instructional Skills
- Codes of Conduct
- Effective Communication Skills
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including written assessments, logbooks, group exercises, projects, assignments and practical tasks and observations
Number of days per week
4 days per week
- Three National 5s at C or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject.
- National 4 Biology would also be an advantage and may be needed for progression.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an information session where you will be expected to provide supporting evidence of your participation in sport at a competitive level.
- There will be a one-to-one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- The session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in sport exercise and fitness activities.
- You may be asked to identify your personal aims, objectives, and potential career path.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
- HNC/D Coaching and Developing Sport
Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in either Fitness Health and Exercise or Coaching and Developing Sport it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as:
- sports leader
- sports coach assistant
- sports coach
- gym/leisure assistant.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.