Introduction to Sport and Fitness
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 21 weeks
Course enquiry form
This is a practical-based entry-level course designed to equip you for further study or employment within the Sport and Fitness industry. The course is designed to develop your knowledge, skills and self-confidence as well as provide a general understanding of the opportunities available within the wider Sport and Fitness Industry. Ideal for school leavers or those in the early stages of finding an appropriate career path. If you are returning to education this course will allow you to return to study without the pressure to achieve at a level that may be too ambitious for you.
Edinburgh College has exceptional industry connections and you will develop your problem-solving skills and ability to work with others through volunteering experiences whilst gaining a general understanding of the work environment in the Sport and Fitness sector.
What you will learn
You will participate in a range of practical activities across sport, fitness and outdoor pursuits which will help improve your personal fitness, confidence and team working skills.
The course will develop skills in three main areas;
- Sport and Outdoor Pursuits
- Health and Wellbeing
This course will focus on personal skills and aims to develop self-confidence, social relationships and knowledge within the industry.
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on a regular basis through the observation of practical competencies, submission of logbooks and classroom-based tasks.
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- An active interest in sport and fitness is essential and, although no formal qualifications are required, core and essential skills at level 3 or above would be advantageous.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be expected to demonstrate your ability to participate in sports exercise and fitness activities
- The interview session may also include some written work to demonstrate your general knowledge in sports exercise and fitness activities and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path
- There will be a one-to-one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study within the Sport and Fitness Department:
- Introduction to Sport and Fitness with Leadership
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.