Strachan Football Personal Development Course
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Strachan Personal Development is a unique course that provides an excellent opportunity for 16-19-year-olds with a passion for football. This course will develop your footballing skills, explore your personal fitness potential as well as increase your qualifications and employment prospects. This course can lead to a rewarding career in coaching, youth work, and sports facility management and maintenance.
This course is delivered in partnership with the Spartans Community Football Academy and Edinburgh College. You will have the opportunity to play in the Scottish Student Sports leagues and cup competitions as well as experience coaching workshops and masterclasses delivered by nationally recognised football coaches and practitioners. This is a one-year course and, upon completion, and upon completion, you will be better placed to progress on to other appropriate courses of study.
What you will learn
You will study subject areas that will help you understand how the body works and adapts to sports and exercise and how to work effectively and safely as a team. There will be focus and support on improving:
- Written and Communication Skills
- Social Skills
- Sporting Performance, tactical awareness
- Scottish FA 1.1 Introduction to Coaching
- Leadership skills
- Human Anatomy
- The Positive Impact of Sport and Physical Activity on the Individual and the Community
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including
- written assessments
- group exercises
- practical tasks
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Core and essentials skills at National 3 or above
- You must be motivated and committed to developing yourself personally and making improvements to your football playing ability, you should be keen to learn with an aim of improving your personal and social skills as well as your employment prospects.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
The first step is to apply on the college website, you will then be invited to attend a football session at The Spartans Academy. Students who are successful at the trial will then be invited to apply for the full Strachan Personal Development course
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Sport and Fitness Activity Leadership
- Exercise and Fitness Studies
It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as a:
- Recreation Assistant
- Youth work
- Community coach
- Gain a traineeship that could offer further worked based learning in relevant areas perhaps leading to a Modern Apprenticeship.
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.