Exercise and Fitness Studies is designed to channel your ambition to work in the leisure industry and allows you to take your first step towards a rewarding career as a fitness instructor. During this course you will gain formal qualifications needed for further study. This is an intensive course and you will cover both theory and practical elements as well as develop a broad range of knowledge and basic skills in exercise and fitness. During the course you will be given the option to discuss the most appropriate progression routes for you. The focus of this course is on the individual and will ensure you have the skills and qualifications to progress to a further study course of your choice.
- Planning Personal Fitness and Fitness for Others
- Exercise and Fitness
- Programming Theory
- Basic Nutrition
- Anatomy and Exercise
- First Aid
- Resistance Training
- Instructor Skills
- Circuits and Group Exercise
- Working with Others
- Problem Solving
- Understanding of the Work Environment in the Exercise and Fitness Industry
- Three passes at National 4, English and/or a science subject is preferred
- Appropriate experience would be helpful either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry but is not essential
- If you do not have the formal requirements but you are a mature student or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family, you are welcome to apply
- In these or other cases we would consider work experience, life skills and potential ability
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including written assessments, logbooks, group exercises, projects, assignments, practical tasks and observations.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness
- The interview will include a practical element
- The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in exercise and fitness activities and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Exercise Instructor course taught at Edinburgh College
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise taught at Edinburgh College
It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as a/in:
- Leisure attendant
- Private health clubs
- Local authority
- Leisure centres
- Fitness facilities within Edinburgh the Lothians and Scottish Borders
Course Cost And Funding Options
Hundreds of Edinburgh College students gained insight into what it takes to make it in the Sport and Fitness industry as the College hosted its second annual Sport and Fitness Careers Day.
The event aims to provide students with the chance to learn more about the range of different career paths in the sector and to find out about potential volunteering options. Students from the Sport and Fitness curriculum area attended the event where they had the opportunity to take part in practical masterclasses organised by Hatton Boxing and Beach Body Live, listen to guest speakers, and hear advice from a range of organisations in attendance. Organisations with information stalls at the event included: Pure Gym, Edinburgh Leisure, Hibernian Community Foundation, Ricky Long Mastermind, Active Schools, Village Hotels, Hearts FC Community, Sheraton Hotel, Youth Football Scotland, Scottish Massage and more.
Sport student Molly Scrimger said:
“This is the first time I’ve attended the Sport and Fitness Careers Day and it was really useful. It was a good opportunity to get an insight and open your mind to the number of opportunities out there.”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...