This is a full-time course over the academic year. The course is designed to further develop the skills you may have gained in NC bakery or City & Guilds level 2 Cookery and allow you to develop advanced skills in a professional pastry kitchen. We will also consider applicants who have some relevant experience in the industry and perhaps want a formal qualification.
You will gain skills in complex chocolate, marzipan and sugar work. You will create menus and original recipes for our training restaurants in the evening. You will also learn to supervise the entire dessert and sweet service in a live restaurant. You will learn how to minimise the risk of allergens. Other units include prepare, cook and finish complex bread and dough products, prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products.
This course will give you the hands-on skillset you need to succeed in further pastry and confectionery training at the next level of your development. You are encouraged to find employment during your course to further develop your skills and put into practice what you have learnt. You may have to will take part in a practical skills test as part of the interview process.
- Maintain food safety in a kitchen environment
- Develop working relationships with colleagues
- Team working
- Prepare, cook and finish complex bread, dough
- Prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, process and finish complex chocolate products
- Prepare, process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
There is no mandatory work placement attached to this course but it is expected that you will already be gaining some experience within a professional kitchen to support your studies.
- NC bakery or City & Guilds level 2 Cookery or equivalent desirable
- We will also consider applicants who have some relevant experience in the industry and perhaps want a formal qualification
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Open book
- Closed book
- Port folios
- Practical observations
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
Applicants will be invited into college for an information session and a skills test
Progression And Articulation Routes
- You can expect to gain employment as a pastry chef at a senior commis or junior chef de partie after completing this qualification
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...